[ltp] Re: tpfand configuration for an X200s

Christoph Bier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 07 Dec 2008 19:18:54 +0100

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh schrieb am 07.12.2008 11:43:

> On Sun, 07 Dec 2008, Christoph Bier wrote:
>> Yes. But under Linux the fan is running at temperatures at which
>> (right grammar?) the fan is not running under Vista. I would
>
> I'd like a confirmation of that: a snapshot of the fan RPM and all thermal
> sensors in both Windows and Linux, showing a set of thermal readings that
> are almost the same, and the different fan speeds.

Thanks for your persistency! I did some testing and found that even
under Linux the fan stops below certain temperatures (see [1]). But
I can only achieve that low temperatures with an external fan! And
under Vista the fan stops at higher temperatures and sometimes runs
at comparatively low temperatures ([2]--[7])---due to hysteresis?!.
Actually Linux' power consumption and hysteresis seem to keep the
fan running even following powertops suggestions, lowest backlight
brightness and disabled WLAN, Bluetooth and WWAN. :-(

>> What about my question on thinkpad_ec? Might it effect fan's
>> behaviour? It fails to load on my X200s. Yesterday I tried to
>
> No.  It is a read-only interface to get battery data, and a read/write
> interface to HDAPS, and that's it.

Thanks.

Best
Christoph