[ltp] T61 Ultrabay

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 9 Dec 2008 20:05:36 -0800

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 23:38:05 +0100
Paul Seelig <pseelig@rumbero.es> dijo:

> please have a look at http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/UltraBay and
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/UltraBay_Devices#UltraBay_Slim_Devices for
> some basic information about the different versions of the UltraBay.
>
> There are two different UltraBay Slim HDD Adapters for the T61, for
> either a PATA or SATA HDD. Further details including FRU numbers see
> please here:
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/UltraBay_Slim_HDD_Adapter
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/UltraBay_Slim_SATA_HDD_Adapter
>
> For what it's worth, I use the PATA UltraBay Slim HDD Adapter in my T61,
> and I purchased it on eBay.

Thanks a lot for the info. My T61 has a SATA drive, so I assume I can
use the Slim SATA adapter (part #40Y8725). I found several places that
sell it, and one had a PDF with the user manual. In the manual I find:

"The adapter supports only the 2.5-in. ThinkPad Serial ATA Hard Disk
Drive. It does not support ThinkCentre® hard disk drives, Lenovo China
hard disk drives or hard disk drives from other companies."

It's the part about "hard disk drives from other companies" that
bothers me. I'd prefer a very large drive and not at the prices Lenovo
charges. So my next question is, what drives can I use in the adapter?