[ltp] breezed, a very simple fan control daemon

Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:20:31 +0000

> For the thresholds, I picked the lowest temperature so that when I am
> editing under Emacs in a reasonably cold room (~22C) the fan would be
> off, decided arbitrarily that 64C was too hot, and just chose the
> thresholds linearly between these two bounds.
>
> I guess that moving the 64C to 80C would not make such a difference
> though, as long as it remains under the critical temperature. But
> there is a comfort trade-off: One has to choose between incessant
> noise and well-cooked palms.

May I recommend making this configurable. I'd suggest you want at least
3 modes depending on whether:

   - the laptop is standalone (eg acting as a media player), in which
case it can run as hot as the internals will tolerate.

   - the laptop is on a desk, but being typed on (must keep it from being
     burning on the keyboard, though the base may be hotter).

   - the laptop is on the knee - in which case a still lower temp, to
avoid the risk of a "low temperature burn" from long (many minutes)
exposure.

If you're going to write a daemon, some support for forcibly
underclocking the CPU if the fan would otherwise turn on would be nice.

Richard