[ltp] F10 on T61 with Intel 965

Yves-Alexis Perez linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Dec 2008 12:19:37 +0100

--=-g7z+gt/PXYLRf9LN04KO

On dim, 2008-12-14 at 06:57 -0300, Juergen Botz wrote:
> F10 didn't even try to use its fancy new graphical boot on this
> machine...=20

The =E2=80=9Cfancy new graphical boot=E2=80=9D uses KMS (=E2=80=9Ckernel mo=
de setting=E2=80=9D) with
plymouth. It's only available on radeon drivers, it has beem disabled on
intel because of stability problems. It'll be in 2.6.29.

> I'm not sure how anaconda decided not to enable the
> framebuffer.  I enabled the it by rebuilding the initrd
> with --preload=3Dintelfb and adding "video=3Dintelfb vga=3Dask" to the
> kernel command-line.  No mode shows up for 1400x1050, but if I
> pick i.e. 1024x768 I get to see the graphical boot.=20

If you look at the archives, you'll see that nobody really managed to
have intelfb working at 1400=C3=971050 on T61 here.

>  Now the
> main purpose of the new graphical boot is for the framebuffer
> to set the display resolution so X doesn't have to re-init the
> display... this shaves some seconds of the boot process, makes
> it prettier (no flashing when X comes up), and may make X happier
> in other ways.  So without native res there is less motivation,
> but I had some suspend/resume problems before that may have gone
> away when I enabled intelfb (will do more testing to confirm this).

intelfb won't help you on this. You need KMS. Which doesn't work on
intel at the moment. I'm following drm-intel git tree at the moment, and
there's a KMS-enabled branch, but it freezes at X startup :)

Basically for plymouth on intel you need to wait 2.6.29.

Cheers,
--=20
Yves-Alexis

--=-g7z+gt/PXYLRf9LN04KO