[ltp] Lid switch not working on R60

Marcus Better linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Dec 2008 20:58:39 +0100

Hi,

I have two Thinkpads with very similar software configuration. The T61 nicely suspends when I close the lid, but the R60 just blanks the screen. I fail to see the reason for this difference. Any idea how to debug?

Both run identical mainline 2.6.27.7 kernels (x86_64) and Debian in very similar configurations:

ii  acpi-support           0.109-9                scripts for handling many ACPI events
ii  acpid                  1.0.8-1                Utilities for using ACPI power management
ii  hal                    0.5.11-6               Hardware Abstraction Layer
ii  kpowersave             0.7.3-3                HAL based power management applet for KDE
ii  pm-utils               1.1.2.4-1              utilities and scripts for power management
ii  uswsusp                0.8-1.1                tools to use userspace software suspend provided by Linux
ii  xserver-xorg           1:7.4~4                the X.Org X server
ii  xserver-xorg-core      2:1.5.3-1              Xorg X server - core server
ii  xserver-xorg-video-int 2:2.5.1-1              X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display driver

If anything is differently configured I cannot figure out what it is. There's a difference in the suspend quirks (output of s2ram -n): The R60 has

Machine matched entry 282:
    sys_vendor   = 'LENOVO'
    sys_product  = '9456*'
    sys_version  = ''
    bios_version = ''
Fixes: 0x3  S3_BIOS S3_MODE
This machine can be identified by:
    sys_vendor   = "LENOVO"
    sys_product  = "9456HTG"
    sys_version  = "ThinkPad R60"
    bios_version = "7CETC7WW (2.17 )"

whereas the T61 has:

Machine unknown
This machine can be identified by:
    sys_vendor   = "LENOVO"
    sys_product  = "64665WG"
    sys_version  = "ThinkPad T61"
    bios_version = "7LETB7WW (2.17 )"

Both machines have the lid switch input device, and the R60 shows both input events and ACPI events when the lid is closed:

~# input-events 2
/dev/input/event2
   bustype : BUS_HOST
   vendor  : 0x0
   product : 0x5
   version : 0
   name    : "Lid Switch"
   phys    : "PNP0C0D/button/input0"
   bits ev : EV_SYN EV_SW

waiting for events
20:52:26.217017: EV_SW code=0 value=1
20:52:26.218311: EV_SYN code=0 value=0
20:52:29.387284: EV_SW code=0 value=0
20:52:29.387497: EV_SYN code=0 value=0
timeout, quitting

~# acpi_listen
button/lid LID 00000080 00000015
video VID 00000080 00000000
button/lid LID 00000080 00000016

thinkpad_acpi is loaded in both cases, no special options:

thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad ACPI Extras v0.21
thinkpad_acpi: http://ibm-acpi.sf.net/
thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad BIOS 7CETC7WW (2.17 ), EC 7CHT21WW-1.09
thinkpad_acpi: Lenovo ThinkPad R60, model 9456HTG
thinkpad_acpi: radio switch found; radios are enabled
thinkpad_acpi: This ThinkPad has standard ACPI backlight brightness control, supported by the ACPI video driver
thinkpad_acpi: Disabling thinkpad-acpi brightness events by default...
thinkpad_acpi: Lenovo BIOS switched to ACPI backlight control mode
thinkpad_acpi: standard ACPI backlight interface available, not loading native one...

thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad ACPI Extras v0.21
thinkpad_acpi: http://ibm-acpi.sf.net/
thinkpad_acpi: ThinkPad BIOS 7LETB7WW (2.17 ), EC 7KHT24WW-1.08
thinkpad_acpi: Lenovo ThinkPad T61, model 64665WG
thinkpad_acpi: radio switch found; radios are enabled
thinkpad_acpi: This ThinkPad has standard ACPI backlight brightness control, supported by the ACPI video driver
thinkpad_acpi: Disabling thinkpad-acpi brightness events by default...
thinkpad_acpi: Lenovo BIOS switched to ACPI backlight control mode
thinkpad_acpi: standard ACPI backlight interface available, notloading native one...

A good start would be to understand what happens when the lid is closed on the T61 - what takes care of the event and triggers the suspend? Is it triggered by the input event or ACPI?

I should add that the T61 runs KDE4 whereas the R60 runs KDE3, but both use the same kpowersave version.

Cheers,

Marcus