[ltp] Replacing the backlight of the thinkpad LCD

cupaxe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2008 15:48:55 -0500

Hello fellow LTP members,

My screen recently went blank on my thinkpad UXGA 15" after providing
me with 4 years of honest service. Since I have run out of the IBM
service warranty, I have the options, in increasing order of
preference:

a) buying a new laptop.
b) buying a new monitor screen, available from
http://www.thinkpadmedic.com/, cost: $300.
c) replacing the backlight opening up the monitor screen, available
from http://www.ccflsurplus.com/lareba.html, cost: not sure.

The reason I think it is the backlight that has gone bad is because it
works fine immediately after I start the laptop and 5-10 min after
that, goes blank. It doesn't go completely blank though- I still can
faintly see the underlying windows on the screen.

I have never attempted option c before but have experience replacing
the fan, putting thermal grease on cpu, etc.

I would be delighted if you could share your experiences and other
tips you might have for me.

Thanks,
Krishna