[ltp] Replacing the backlight of the thinkpad LCD

Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:56:10 -0200

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, cupaxe wrote:
> c) replacing the backlight opening up the monitor screen, available
> from http://www.ccflsurplus.com/lareba.html, cost: not sure.

If you mean replacing the CCFL, it is *QUITE* hard and difficult.
Really.  As in it takes more than four hours to do it if you never did
it before, and you REALLY risk destroying your BrightView LCD, and a
new one costs in excess of US$700 AFAIK... IF you can find one.

> The reason I think it is the backlight that has gone bad is because it
> works fine immediately after I start the laptop and 5-10 min after
> that, goes blank. It doesn't go completely blank though- I still can
> faintly see the underlying windows on the screen.

That looks a lot more like the *inverter* is aged.  Replacing it is
MUCH simpler.  Make sure to buy exactly the correct one for your
thinkpad (and it is reasonably cheap, less than US$100).

Just be very perfectionist about any soldering and isulation, as the
inverter, and its cabling to the CCFL are very hazardous areas.  One
bad isulator or cold/broken solder, and you get an electric arch which
can cause major damage.

> I would be delighted if you could share your experiences and other
> tips you might have for me.

Do some youtube and google research on CCFL and inverter replacement
before you commit to doing either one (specially the CCFL) yourself.

  Henrique Holschuh