[ltp] Mounting new Ultrabay drive

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Dec 2008 18:10:41 -0800

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 01:39:53 +0000
Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> dijo:

> I think you should just be able to go ahead and put it in fstab. Whether
> it gets mounted or not at boot depends on the "noauto" keyword - see man
> fstab. If the drive isn't physically present, (but is "expected" in
> fstab) nothing bad will happen to the boot process, provided that you
> haven't got anything important (eg /home) mounted there.

Yay! It worked. I copied the "noauto" from the entry in fstab for the
CD drive.

>  > Also, can the optical
>  > and hard drive be hot swapped? If so, how?
>
> As for hotswap, the important thing is that you can unmount the device.
> Once that's done, it should be easy - I *think* it's just a matter of
> using "eject", and unplugging it (provided both devices are SATA).
> You should check this though.

I rebooted and the 500 GB drive was in Places on the Gnome panel. Then
I just pulled it out and reinserted the DVD drive. I put a DVD in it
(Out of Africa, which I plan to watch later tonight) and closed the
drive door. After waiting a moment I went to Places and sure enough Out
of Africa was listed. Then I pulled the DVD drive and put the 500 GB
drive back in. After waiting a minute the 500 GB drive was available
and Out of Africa was gone. No need to mount/unmount manually. Yay!

> P.S. Note that you can't unmount a device which is busy. So make sure no
> programs are accessing it, or have their current directory on it.

Point taken.

> P.P.S. /media is usually reserved for "removable" media. It's a matter
> of taste, but you may prefer to use /mnt, or even something dedicated
> such as  /backup .

Point taken as well. I'll stick to /media.

Thanks for the help!