[ltp] Re: tpfand configuration for an X200s

Christoph Bier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:22:03 +0100

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh schrieb am 20.12.2008 20:30:

> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, Christoph Bier wrote:
>> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh schrieb am 20.12.2008 15:30:
>> > Can you try the same simple "level 7" test using a boot CD of a simple
>> > distro (NOT Ubuntu. Debian would be OK, probably others too), or try
>> > it in a single user mode boot?
>>
>> It works in single user mode! The fan speeds up to 5257 RPM. With
>> 'level auto' it stops again, with 'level 1' it starts again and so on.
>
> Very well.  Did you EVER install, or attempt to install, any fan control
> utility?  It doesn't have to be a thinkpad's fan control utility, it could
> be one based on lm-sensors/hwmon, or a desktop applet, helper, etc.

Yes, see the subject ;-). Removing tpfand solved it. Thank you very
much!

So, once again ... you asked me do a throughout test of
thinkpad-acpi fan control on my x200s and tell you what I find. I
can set different levels---but the numeric ones from 0 to 6,
'disengaged', and 'disabled' last only for about 3 seconds then
level goes back by itself to 'auto'; level 7 remains until I set a
different level. 'full-speed' is ignored. Here's some data:

# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
status:		enabled
speed:		2482
level:		auto
commands:	level <level> (<level> is 0-7, auto, disengaged, full-speed)
commands:	enable, disable
commands:	watchdog <timeout> (<timeout> is 0 (off), 1-120 (seconds))
root@skull-tp:~# echo 'level 0' > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
root@skull-tp:~# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan | head -3
status:		enabled
speed:		0
level:		auto
root@skull-tp:~# echo 'level 1' > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
root@skull-tp:~# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan | head -3
status:		enabled
speed:		2525
level:		1
root@skull-tp:~# echo 'level 2' > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
root@skull-tp:~# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan | head -3
status:		enabled
speed:		2543
level:		2
root@skull-tp:~# echo 'level 3' > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
root@skull-tp:~# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan | head -3
status:		enabled
speed:		2503
level:		3
root@skull-tp:~# echo 'level 4' > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
root@skull-tp:~# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan | head -3
status:		enabled
speed:		2503
level:		4
root@skull-tp:~# echo 'level 5' > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
root@skull-tp:~# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan | head -3
status:		enabled
speed:		2503
level:		5
root@skull-tp:~# echo 'level 6' > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
root@skull-tp:~# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan | head -3
status:		enabled
speed:		2481
level:		6
root@skull-tp:~# echo 'level 7' > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
root@skull-tp:~# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan | head -3
status:		enabled
speed:		5086
level:		7
root@skull-tp:~# echo 'level full-speed' > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
root@skull-tp:~# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan | head -3
status:		enabled
speed:		2374
level:		auto
root@skull-tp:~# echo 'level disengaged' > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
root@skull-tp:~# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan | head -3
status:		enabled
speed:		2546
level:		disengaged
root@skull-tp:~# echo disable > /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
root@skull-tp:~# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan | head -3
status:		disabled
speed:		0
level:		0

Fan speed significantly changed only with level 7 and 0 and
'disable' and 'enable'; but only level 7 remains.

[...]

Best
Christoph
--