[ltp] Second handed T43 issues (already bought): advises for tons of doubts and questions, please

Miguel Daniel Rodríguez Magarzo linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 26 Dec 2008 02:10:48 +0100

El mié, 24-12-2008 a las 03:06 +0000, Richard Neill escribió:
> Dear Miguel,
>
> Glad we could all help.  It sounds as though your main issue now is the
> screen, and the fan noise.

Right. That's would be the best summary.

But now they don't matter anymore such issues, at least already for me:
I'm returning it back tomorrow morning (since the seller has accepted
this). Actually, I couldn't stand the idea of must to be always
accompanied from that noise, that's the main reason. But the another...,
the crappy LCD, which is doing what it can in order to show a 1400x1050
pixel screen resolution. Good video card, OK; but bad LCD panel (maybe
coming from a replacement).

> I think you can just run tp-fancontrol  without any need to customise it
> - as long as you check that all the temperatures stay sane. Basically,
> monitor the machine carefully for a while. (To force full cpuload, run
> "nice yes" in a terminal; stop it with ctrl-c). The customisation is
> just to let you adjust things to taste -

Sorry Richard, I didn't take that way. Based in the thread "tpfand
configuration for an X200s", which has been being pretty interesting,
what I did was:
	* Via synaptics remove completely the two packages related with
tp-fancontrol. Removed its repo then too.
	* Reboot.
	* This was interfering with the thinkpad_acpi module, and didn't let it
to take the control of the fan.
	* Then doing "echo" level [0-7] over /proc/acpi/ibm/fan the fan speed
were being easily controlled indeed.
	* But I'm not much happy with that fan. Noise level is high enough to
upset me.

A summary of the conclusions I got with the values the CLI gave (maybe
someone were interested in). Actually values are, in general, pretty
much variables, so I post approximative segments.

	- level auto, 3300-3900rpm approx. .Noisy. Make uncomfortable
experience.  That's since the booting time (??)
	- level 2, 3150-3300 approx. Amount of noise is reduced somewhat
indeed, but not enough to be an acceptable level.
	-level 1, 3150-3200 approx. Noise is approximately the same as level 2.
I can't distinguish between both them.
	-level 0, the fan stops correctly. Noise zero.
	-Remaining levels ... 3, 4, ... are very much noisy to my taste.
	-Auto level approximately matches to level 3 (equal).
	-level 3, 3500-3800 (sometimes up 3900 approx)
	-levels 4, 5, 6 can surpass 4000 rpm.
	-nevertheless, put to level 7 (full-speed that it shows as disengaged),
it can go just around to 4000 although noise level is (in crescendo)
very high; and there were moments with levels 5 or 6 e.g. that the fan
took many more revolutions (than at full-speed).

On the other hand, /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal was showing practically
_identical_ values along the process.

To sum up, concerning to my interest, this method didn't solve the
problem (and I doubt it has any solution).

> As for the display, if you really hate it, you'll have to get a
> replacement.

Richard, I'm afraid I'm going to "replace" the whole "piece" :-))

[I'll try chance a more time whenever the opportunity arises].

> Best wishes,
>
> Richard

Thank you very much again,

Daniel