[ltp] Copying Windows XP to a new disk

Timothy Murphy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 01:35:49 +0000

I have a new 160GB Seagate disk I want to install in my ThinkPad T43,
to replace the 40GB disks presently in it.
I can put the disk temporarily in the Ultrabay.
But what is the best way then to copy my Windows XP partition
from the old disk to a larger partition on the new disk?

I should say that this is a perfectly legal Windows XP,
and I could simply re-install it.
But I'd like to avoid the trouble of updating Windows
and running Lenovo's Update Software, if possible.

I have an old copy of Partition Magic.
Would this do the trick?

Alternatively, could I use dd to copy the Windows partition
to a partition of the same size on the new disk,
and then expand this partition?

Or is there a standard Microsoft utility for such a conversion.
(As will be clear, Windows is not my usual OS.)

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.