[ltp] Re: Copying Windows XP to a new disk

km linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 13:21:59 +0100

My normal migration scenario (and broken hdd salvage scenario) are
variations of this:

boot up thinkpad1 and thinkpad2 with gentoo (or other) install cd.

thinkpad1# dd if=/dev/hda bs=1M | ssh thinkpad2 'dd of=/dev/hda'

this copies the entire HDD from TP1 to TP2 over the network. This is
also easy to do with just a single partition if you create the partition
table first and align your copy to the right starting cylinder.

You could just create the new partition with a bigger size and then
expand the filesystem. There is a DOS utility in the windows resource
kit that does this.

If you only have one thinkpad you could DD the image to a CIFS/NFS share
instead and then boot up with the new disk and DD back the image after
creating the partition table.

Only 40GB of data should go fast even on a 100mbit network, just a
little more than an hour.

-km