[ltp] Ultrabase X3 hotplug with a thinkpad X31 ?

Frédéric BOITEUX linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 13:49:39 +0100

	Hello,

  Following discussions on bay support on 2.6.24 Linux kernel, I've
tried to use hotplug my Thinkpad X31 on its Ultrabase X3 to use its DVD
drive, without success :-(
  I've used a 2.6.23 kernel (I don't have a 2.6.24 yet) and looked at
Thinkwifi site
(http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_hotswap_the_UltraBase and
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_hotswap_UltraBay_devices), but I'm lost and wonder if it's ever possible ?

I've looked at udev events using udevmonitor, and didn't found any
event about IDE device detection. The second wiki's page tells about
ata_piix module instead of piix, but I wonder if it can works on my X31
which has only IDE bus (no SATA) : even if I rename piix module and
rebuild my initramfs, the ata_piix, loaded in this initramfs, doesn't
seem to be used :
# lsmod|grep piix
ata_piix        16004  0
libata	       113552  2 ata_generic,ata_piix

and if I try to remove ide-disk module, the system don't boot...

I didn't find also trace of lt_hotswap module...

  Any hint would be appreciated,

	with regards,
		Fred