[ltp] X60 - (bad) experience, others?

Wed, 06 Feb 2008 09:58:41 +0000

Nils Faerber wrote:

> Perfect - called the Lenovo/IBM Service today and they told me:
> Linux is not a supported OS and I shall first install Windows to check
> if Windows-XP power off also drains the battery.
> What a sh*t!
> Off is off and there should be no Windows-XP off or Linux off.
>
> Now I have to find a spare 2,5" SATA drive to install that crap-OS just
> to see how Win-XP switches off the machine. Perfect. That means at least
> two days unusable machine, one for installing Crap-OS and one for
> waiting for the battery to drain (or not).
> And only if I can say that Win-XP also drains the battery they will allo
> me to send the machine in for repair.
>
> Sorry, but this machine is driving me crazy :(
> First you have to very carefully watch your software not to burn power
> and now I find that the Lenovo service takes Linux as top excuse for
> everything. They even did not care to ask which version of Linux -
> "Linux installed? We do not support that, you are on your own.". I guess
> if some day the backlight breaks they would would also claim it is
> Linux' fault.

As you say, off is off(*). Don't actually install XP, just tell them you
did. Then, when you ship the system back, explain that you will not
include the HDD, because you are unwilling to ship your personal data.

Regards,

Richard

(*)If you want to be absolutely certain, you can convince yourself by
doing the following:  charge battery fully, shutdown the machine, unplug
  the mains, remove the battery, [note: there is no way it could
possibly be in a "soft-off" state now], re-plug the battery, wait a day
to see if  it goes flat.