[ltp] Don't trust the kensington lock socket

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 08 Feb 2008 10:30:38 -0500

Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 11:19:18PM +0000, Richard Neill wrote:
>
>> Some slimebag just stole one of our company laptops, which was an R60e
>> thinkpad, used for video-streaming and transcoding. It was locked to the
>> desk with a kensington lock. The lock itself remains undamaged, and in
>> the locked position, but the thinkpad is missing: the thief quite
>> clearly just ripped it away from the lock, tearing out the socket in the
>> corner of the laptop.
>>

> I once saw a short video on YouTube demonstrating how you can open a
> Kensington lock with a roll of toilet paper (no, really!):
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SkKJ4yOKo8
>

>> On another note, I need to replace it: are the R61s generally OK with
>> Linux? A lot of people seem to be having Linux trouble with X61 and T61
>> models. I do need a fast core2-duo CPU, and preferably intel graphics
>> and it must have a sensible 4x3 screen (eg 1024x768), rather than the
>> increasingly common shortscreen (erroneously marketed as "widescreen")
>> monitors.

The idea behind that sort of lock is to prevent the grab & run type of
thief.  When I was at IBM, the rule was if you're going to be away from
your desk for a significant period of time, you had to lock the computer
in a cabinet.  You should never leave a computer or other valuable
unattended.  Also, they do have combination locks now, which would foil
the attack described in the video.