[ltp] Workarounds and tips for thinkpads running 2.6.23/2.6.24

Theodore Tso linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 8 Feb 2008 11:41:23 -0500

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 06:53:50AM +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On jeu, 2008-02-07 at 13:49 -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
> > The best way to shut off the panel is "xset dpms force standby"; works
> > today, and as Henirque points out, totally independent of the kernel.
>
> Well, maybe, but the intuitive way is to put the brightness level to 0
> (and it works for some people)

I don't have the energy to try to rationalize the seemingly insane
mess of video brightness controls.  I salute those who do.  :-)

For now, I have my own set of private hacks to make it work for me.  I
have to choose my battles, such as my carrying my own private patches
to make the Ultrabay work on the T60p.  I just don't have time to
figure out how to make the !@#@! generic ACPI bay code.  I've wasted
too much time on that in the past, too...  I'm content to wait for
someone else to post recipes that make that work out of the box, since
I have private hacks that work for me.

					- Ted