[ltp] T42p + Battery Rundown and results

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:55:52 -0500

I'm trying to "exercise" my two T42p 9-cell batteries to bring them back
to life. Currently they're keeping less than an hour of life total, when
my laptop is on maximum power savings, running at 600Mhz, screen 1/2
dim.

Here's what one of the batteries currently reports:

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info
present:                 yes
design capacity:         71280 mWh
last full capacity:      25450 mWh
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          10800 mV
design capacity warning: 1272 mWh
design capacity low:     200 mWh
capacity granularity 1:  1 mWh
capacity granularity 2:  1 mWh
model number:            IBM-08K8198
serial number:             103
battery type:            LION
OEM info:                SANYO

I've been charging these to full, then booting to the Battery Rundown
utility to run the last bit of power out of them, then charging to full
again. Lather, rinse, repeat. I've been doing this over the last 2 days
with both of my 9-cell batteries.

Is there something I should be looking at other than BAT0/info that
would let me know if my effort here is actually having any effect?

Or, is there some other way to resuscitate these batteries back into
some level of usability?

Thanks!

--
David A. Desrosiers