[ltp] T42p + Battery Rundown and results

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:14:22 +0100

Hello,

> I'm trying to "exercise" my two T42p 9-cell batteries to bring them back
> to life.

I'm afraid the rundown-way is only resetting the battery chip. It basicly
updates the "last full capacity" info and gives you a better estimated
runtime. Stop doing rundowns if "last full capacity" stops growing.

And charge to 100% while the system is _off_. Turning it on during
charging affects the result a lot.

Some people also sugested colling the system after powerdown and
charging it latter (cause batteries work better at ~20°C then
~40°C). It has an effect of about 5% for my R51.

> I've been charging these to full, then booting to the Battery Rundown
> utility to run the last bit of power out of them, then charging to full
> again. Lather, rinse, repeat. I've been doing this over the last 2 days
> with both of my 9-cell batteries.

You can stop now, it will not get any better.

cu