[ltp] T60 intermittent freeze 2.0

Philippe Clérié linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:54:05 -0500

I'm revisiting this issue because I'm now _reliably_ (I think)
reproducing the problem. I was trying to package an app for Ubuntu
gutsy using pbuilder. 6 times in row, the computer froze as described
below.

When compiling both CPUs are at max and the CPU temperature is stable at
60 degrees C. Never heard the fan start, unless it's _very_ quiet. The
computer was not on battery.

Other than that I still as stumped as to what the problem is. Although
I've become convinced that my machine is a freak. Should have returned
it. :-(

Previously, some people suggested I try running Windows. I still
haven't. I just couldn't run Windows _only_ for long enough to have the
problem show up, and a few weeks ago I upgraded my hard drive and sadly
I did not install Windows on it. I'd rather run it in a KVM virtual
machine.

Thanks in advance
Philippe

================================
(Posted 7-Dec-2007)

Hello all,

As the subject says, my T60 intermittently freezes so bad I actually
have to turn off the computer and reboot. Can't even get the keyboard
to work. Network also freezes: can't ping or login via ssh or telnet
which I setup specifically for that.

The lock ups are very random. But they are much, much more common when
I'm running on batteries. On batteries, I get about 6 freezes on a full
charge. When connected to standard power, it only happens once, maybe
twice a week.

It always happens the same way. There are always a set
of horizontal black lines approximately 1/4 in apart extending only
75/80% across the screen. Sometimes there'll be a loud beep. Once, I
had random noise on the speaker.

I cannot reproduce it at will so that's about all I can say to describe
it.

Hardware:
T60-1953ETU.
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML
and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS,
943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME,
943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Software:
Ubuntu 7.04-feisty (i386 and amd64) -
Ubuntu 7.10-gutsy (i386 and amd64) -

Thanks in advance for any help!
Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>