X61s (Re: [ltp] Self-install or commercial install?)

Theodore Tso linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:28:00 -0500

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:50:44AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> Thanks, Ted, for the insight. I'm avoiding built in broadband for the
> reasons you suggest.

One other thought comes to mind; it may very well be that in the next
6-9 months, better broadband wireless will become available (for
example, WIMAX).  Or, to take my T60p example, the built in EVDO card
was obsoleted by EVDO Revision A cards which doubled max. download
speeds to 3.1 Mbps increased upload speeds to 1.8 Mbps.  Current
Lenovo EVDO cards now come with the EVDO Rev. A cards, but this is one
area where technology is moving pretty rapidly, and possibly faster
than the lifetime of the laptop.

One downside of having the external card is the antenna sticks out,
which means you will want to remove it before putting it into a laptop
case, and it's one more piece of hardware to juggle.  Like all things
in life, there are tradeoffs involved....

						- Ted