[ltp] Thinkpad utilities query

Dom linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:58:04 +0100

Marius Gedminas wrote:

>>> is it a permission problem ?
>>>

>> Can you help me? Maybe I missed something. What group I should be a member
>> of? I tried it with root as well, same thing happens.
>>

> You don't need to be root; any user can use synclient (which is why the
> option is described as "insecure").
>
> Try running "ipcs -m", it will list all shared memory segments on your
> system.  I think the one used by synclient is this one:
>
> 0x00005d8b 0          root      777        360        1
>
> The address will be different, but it's owned by root, readable and
> writable by anyone, and is 360 bytes long.
>
> You can also check if you have tmpfs mounted on /dev/shm (Ubuntu should
> do that by default, but you never know...)
>
> Marius Gedminas

Actually, I have tmpfs mounted on /dev/shm, even though it's not set in
fstab - should that matter?

:~$ mount | grep tmpfs
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)

BTW, "ipcs -m" doesn't return anything like you mention. All memory
segments I have are owned by me, regular user, not root, and look
something like this:
key shmid owner perms bytes nattch status
0x00000000 1191673856 domi 600 393216 2 dest

--
Dom
http://domdelimar.com