[ltp] [Solution] Thinkpad X40 on fedora 8, display blank after resume

Christos Papadopoulos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:14:54 -0700

Ok, I think I have a possible solution to this. It seems
to work, but I will continue to test it.

Again, the problem was that with a fresh install of fedora 8
my laptop would have a blank display on resume. The OS seems
functional otherwise. Fedora 8 installs the Gnome power manager
by default, so this is what I played with.

Note that the model number for my X40 is 2382. Thus, I can
only confirm that this fix will work with this model number.
Your mileage may vary.

On to the fix:

First, add option "VBERestore" "true" to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "intel"
        Option      "VBERestore"  "true"
EndSection

Note the use of the newer intel driver (installed by default).

Then, use the following command to suspend.

$ pm-suspend --quirk-vbemode-restore --quirk-s3-bios

(this can be issued on lid close, see below)

In my case, if I resume immediately after suspend, I may still have to
restart X (in the blind, using ctl-alt-<backspace>.  However, if I
resume after some time, it seems to work. You may not have this
problem.

Another minor problem I saw is with the display brightness, which
switches to max every time I resume, or when X starts. There is a
pm-suspend --quirk-reset-brightness option that I have not tried yet.

Next steps:

I will update the database in
/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-ibm.fdi
so that the command will be issued automatically when the lid is
closed. Note that this xml database allows you to define quirks
based on the IBM model number and this is what I plan to do.

I found that the current version of the database (i.e., the current
configuration of the file I pulled off
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/) lists quirks that do
not work for my model X40. The databse currenty lists quirk.s3_bios,
and quirk.s3_mode, which does not agree with what I found. My model
number is 2382. You may need different quirks if you have a different
model number.

Hope this helps someone. If you need the updated version of the
database (after I tried it) feel free to contact me. The website
I listed above has instructions on how to change it.

Now does anyone know why url detection does not span multiple lines,
but only on ssh shells in gnome terminal? In other words, underlining
cuts the part of the url that wraps around a second line. Detection
seems to work fine on a local terminal (i.e., not one I used ssh on).
Sorry, this is off-topic for this list.

Christos.