[ltp] Running with line power and no battery

Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:03:38 -0300

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Joerg Bruehe wrote:
> What I would like to have for this is a dummy battery cover, to prevent
> any dirt from reaching the contacts. But I haven't yet started any work
> for this.

Cleaning those contacts is not too troublesome, and if you use it as an
excuse to clean up the laptop itself, it is benefitial :-)

> I work from my home office, so any loss of power would affect running
> machines, but I did not get any kind of UPS - that's my assessment of
> the risk (for me !). I have heard from colleagues that short outages are
> frequent for them, because they are supplied via overhead wires which
> are affected by wind, rain, ice, car accidents, ...

Lack of power is not exactly the problem.  The issue is that when you power
up a heavy load in an uncontrolled manner (i.e. when power returns to the
feeding branch that reaches your home), you get nasty variations on the
power feed (it is a n-degree system, where n > 2.  If you're lucky, you get
a single overshoot, but usually you get the full "ringing" effect that looks
a lot like the one of a 2nd-degree undercompensated system).

That can kill electronics and high in-rush current devices like your
refrigerator quite easily.  Especially with the kind of under-protected crap
we get for PSUs nowadays.

If you're at home, when the power goes out you should open all circuit
breakers.  When it comes back, wait a small while for the power grid to
stabilize (I use 5 minutes), make sure electronics are unplugged, close
breakers one by one with at least one second between them, and after that is
done, replug the electronics.

Yes, where I live we have a lot of "power events".  I don't dare leave home
with the computers plugged without a good UPS in the way.

> IMO, everybody has to assess that risk for themselves.

Yes.

  Henrique Holschuh