[ltp] t42p ata_piix

Carlos Moffat linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:23:36 -0500

Hi Jorg:

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 17:21 +0100, Joerg Platte wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 10. Januar 2008 schrieb Carlos Moffat:
> Hi,
>
> > I'm trying to stop using lt_hotswap and move to the new ata_piix
> > drivers. I've been having trouble booting a kernel using them. I was
> > wondering if there's anybody out there with a working kernel config
> > using the new drivers on a t42p (ICH4 chip).
>
> I'm using a normal modular kernel and blacklisted the normal ide modules:
>
> blacklist piix
> blacklist generic
> blacklist ide_cd
> blacklist ide_disk
>
> What problems do you have with your kernel?

It basically doesn't boot all the way. What I've done is (I'm running
Debian/Sid):

- Unset all the IDE stuff in the kernel configuration (CONFIG_IDE unset)
- Add what I think is all the necessary stuff to the kernel:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y
CONFIG_PATA_MPIIX=y
CONFIG_PATA_OLDPIIX=y
CONFIG_PATA_LEGACY=y
CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=y

(I'm not sure which driver is relevant for ICH-4M chips)

The kernel stops at some point complaining /dev/hda1 (or /dev/sda1, if I
add that) doesn't exist, and sends me to a initrd shell. From there, I
can see there's no /dev/hd* or /dev/sd*.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Carlos