[ltp] Special Keys on Old Machines

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 12 Jan 2008 12:13:14 -0700

From: chris@idlelion.net
> I recently put Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on my 750P. I'd like to get at least =

> some of the special keys to work, but I know there's no ACPI.
> I would appreciate information on how to intercept the function keys an=
d =

> connect them to commands to run, even in command-line mode.

Thinkpads have their special keys hooked up in a strange way:  The
keys, when pressed, modified bits in NVRAM.  There's a utility called
tpb that you can use to monitor the NVRAM and do arbitrary actions
when various keys were pressed.  This works; I'm still using it on my
T42p.  There are some options/warnings/caveats about particular models
in the tpb documentation.  HTH,