[ltp] Wireless solution for T23

John Shane linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:06:02 +0200

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:35:16 +0100
Marcin Trybus <mtrybus@o2.pl> wrote:

> I just got a broadband Internet connection and bought a Linksys
> WAG200G router with a wireless access point (as the name implies
> it's a G standard). I bought wireless only because it was not that
> much more expensive than a wired-only model. Since my T23 comes
> without a built-in WiFi adapter I am considering various options of
> making it wireless capable. There are only two reasonable options,
> a PCMCIA adapter and an internal, preferably Intel-based, miniPCI
> card. I discount the USB adapters, as the T23 has only 2 ports
> anyway. The problem is that my machine does not have the built in
> antenna. So is it worth the hassle to install it?

One option that works well for me is the 3Com pcmcia wifi card model
3CRPAG175 11a/b/g with x-jack antenna (Atheros chipset).  The
retractable antenna allows you to leave the card in your laptop when
moving about.  I've been using one with Xubuntu 6.10 and it "just
works." It was picked up during installation, drivers were installed
without hassle and it has performed well. The antenna arrangement and
stability under Linux has made it very convenient.  While you're at
it do yourself a favor and add "Wicd" to handle WPA settings and keep
track of wireless networks that are available.   John