[ltp] Re: tp_smapi 0.34 and hdaps

Shem Multinymous linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 20 Jan 2008 15:39:15 -0500

Hi Henrique,

On Jan 20, 2008 2:03 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@hmh.eng.br> wrote:
> No, that is unacceptable.  HDAPS is accessing the EC firmware directly, and
> no sort of "use it even when we are not sure it is safe" behaviour is
> acceptable by default.

I don't think we need to be overly conservative here; all evidence so
far shows that the accelerometer-related EC functions are pretty
resilient (hell, they've been taking the crap that vanilla hdaps
throws at them). Since so far we've seen just two valid 4-byte
reasonably safe and much easier for everyone.

> It is fine to add a module parameter to force detection of HDAPS

Actually, I prefer to get the bug reports so we can gather the new
data and fix it for everyone (and it's easy enough to patch the
sourcecode if one really needs to).

  Shem