[ltp] WiFi on T43

Timothy Murphy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 14:37:11 +0000

Sorry about the aborted message -
a symptom of my difficulty disabling the touchpad
mentioned in another posting a moment ago.

I bought a T43 on eBay a short time ago.
It works fine, except that it doesn't seem to have WiFi.
(I have WiFi running on a PCMCIA card.)

1) The model number is 1871Y81 .
Should this have WiFi?
If so, does one have to activate it in some way?
(I have another T43, on which WiFi worked out of the box.)

I see no mention of a WiFi device on lspci or lsusb .
The nearest seems to be "Intel AC'97 Modem Controller".

2) If the WiFi device is in fact missing,
would it be difficult to install one?
If this is possible, how would one set about it?

All advice and suggestions gratefully received.