[ltp] Shame and degradation: T60, ATI X1400, fglrx, Gutsy, apt-get dist-upgrade, fonts, HW accel, suspend/resume

Mihai Călin Bazon linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:01:38 +0200

What do you mean by "HW" accel?  I got suspend/resume working with the
latest fglrx driver (kernel 2.3.23.12) and it works flawlessly.  I
don't even know if it's using the native suspend or not (I just press
the keybinding).  3D is working fine (I suspect that's what you mean
by HW accel?).  AIGLX doesn't work but I don't mind; Compiz looks
good, but when I do serious work I find those effects distracting.

That's not to say I'm happy with it.  Hell I've spent countless hours
debugging the suspend/resume problems and every, every time they were
related to the infamous ATI driver.  It works now but who knows if it
will after the next upgrade? :-)  And we're in 2008.  It's almost 2
years since I got this laptop.  I'm not buying ATI again, never ever.

-M.