[ltp] X60 - (bad) experience, others?

Jeffrey Franc-Law linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:39:22 +0000

I have an X60,SUSE 10.2, and I am mostly happy.  It' really small, and
if you travel lots, you may like that.  The screen can get tricky to
work with if you work in multiple open windows, so I use a 19" external
screen at home.

Personally, I needed the extra processing power....core duo 2ghz, 4gb
ram, 7200rpm hard drive.  The machine runs a mysql/http server for a
simulation program.  I travel, and when the simulation takes place, i
need to have 30 or so people logged into the http server.  Working very
well so far.

I have the 8 cell battery, and I am quite happy with the battery life.

A few issues:

1.  The machine (1706hcu) came with atheros based "thinkpad" wireless
mini pci card, which did not work.  I switched for apw3945abg (lenovo
supplied at no charge after I asked), wireless works flawlessly with
suse linux.  Used a PCMCIA atheros card with MadWiFi until the 3945
arrived: no problems.

2.  The chipset only "sees" about 3gb of the 4gb installed ram.  I think
this will not be a problem on the x61 as it uses the Santa Rosa
chipset(???).

3.  Continue to have problems with the ethernet "pass through" port on
the ultrabase.  First, i could only use the port on the cpu, and only
when the ultrabase was detached.  I had the ultrabase replaced, it
worked well for a while, now the port on the CPU does not work.  Not
sure if this is a hardware problem....I think it is some software thing
that switches between the CPU and Ultrabase ports.  Personally, not
really impressed with the ultrabase.  The cpu has ethernet, vga,
usb...so unless you need serial port of parallel port, the base is not
so exciting.  If I did it again, i would not buy the ultrabase, I would
just get a USB DVD writer.

ciao,
jef

--
Jeffrey Michael Franc-Law, MD, CCFP.EM, D Sport Med, EMDM
Assistant Clinical Professor of Emergency Medicine, University of Alberta

PGP key at:
http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/search?q=jeffrey+franc-law&searchformsubmit=Search

D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
             http://www.doteasy.com