[ltp] OpenSUSE 11.0 locks up

Nathaniel Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:17:45 -0700

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 08:38:30PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
> I've been trying to install OpenSUSE 11.0 on my ThinkPad R31 model
> 2656-6FU and have noticed it frequently locks up solid, requiring a
> power down to reboot.  Has anyone else experienced this?  This computer
> worked fine 10.3 and earlier versions.

I just switched from Debian to Ubuntu on my X60, including a kernel
upgrade from 2.6.22 to 2.6.25, and started seeing lockups exactly like
you describe.  Of course there are lots of ways for the kernel to
freeze so it's hard to say if we're running into the same bug or not,
but it's possible there's something nasty hiding in the latest
upstream kernel that these new distros are just picking up on...

(I've so far only see lockups while the ethernet port was in use --
how about you?)

-- Nathaniel

--
Electrons find their paths in subtle ways.