[ltp] X60 docking station troubles

Peter Lemken linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 09:10:23 +0200

Howdy,

My spouse's X60 doesn't work as I want it to. The CD/DVD-writer of my T60 fits
into the docking station and usually it works. Usually, that is I tried it
half a year ago, but ever since then I switched distributions on both
notebooks. We are currently running

2.6.24.4-laptop-1mnb #1 SMP with Mandriva spring 2008

Symptoms:

The drive is not recognized on cold boot when it's in the docking station and
it doesn't show up on hot insertion with all systems and services up and
running.

Oh, and pulling it out "hot" from my T60 immediately results in a freeze.

What is the mechanism to troubleshoot this? /var/log/messages doesn't show
anything when inserted hot, neither when it's removed, obviously. Shouldn't
there be a mechanism to recognize new hardware like this into a docking
station? If so, where is it, how can I read a log of this mechanism? Is there
a particular piece of software that needs to be loaded? A kernel module that
needs to be rebuilt or what?

Please advise or my GF is going to kill me.

Peter Lemken