[ltp] OpenSUSE 11 for a T61 - should I switch?

Andreas Siegert linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 16:54:38 +0200

Moin Lenz,

Quoting Lenz Grimmer (lenz@grimmer.com) on Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 02:51:19PM +0200:
> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Andreas Siegert <afxml@atsec.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone on this list using a T61 switched from 10.3 to 11?
>
> Not switched, 11.0 was the first distro I installed on my new T61
> (also using the nvidia GPU).
Good.

> > Is KVM finally getting to a comparable speed vs VMware?
>
> I haven't tried - I am happy with VirtualBox for my purposes.
Doest it allow me to run 64bit VMs?

> > Does the WLAN LED work?
> Hmm, it does not seem so. But the wireless works just fine.
Just like on 10.3

> > Will the Nvidia (not nv) drivers work?
>
> Define "work". They install and 3D acceleration works. I have not done
> exhaustive testing of how they cooperate with suspend to Disk/RAM. The
> nv driver worked well for me, too. Both support dual-head (external
> screens) as well.
Suspend to Disk/RAM would be my key issue. Works nicely now with the
latest Nvidia drivers.
The nv driver on 10.3 is a PITA. The NVidia is silly when it comes to
dynamic changes of dual screen configs.

> > Any caveats?
>
> I found the sound configuration a bit troublesome, removing Pulseaudio
> and reverting to native ALSA solved this for me. Also getting Skype to
> use the proper microphone too me a while to figure out.

Ok, that shuld be easy.

thx
afx

--
atsec information security GmbH, Steinstrasse 70, D-81667 München, Germany
    Phone: +49-89-44249830  /  Fax: +49-89-44249831  /  Web: atsec.com