[ltp] fancontrol script causes hundreds of wakeups per second

green linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 2 Jul 2008 21:55:59 -0500

--gDGSpKKIBgtShtf+

On Wed, 2008.07.02, 184, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008, green wrote:
> > > annoying pulses in the fan unless you fixed the firmware of your thin=
kpad),
> >=20
> > seconds, I get the fan pulsing behavior.  So: what do you mean by "fixe=
d the=20
> > firmware"?  Is that sarcasm?
>=20
> No, not sarcasm.  The T40-T42 and T43 had major problems in their fan
> control firmware, that made the fan *really* annoying.  IBM changed the
> firmware at some point, to correct that.
>=20
> So, the worst of the fan behaviour was fixed for T40-T42/p, and for the
> Intel-video T43.  But someone in IBM botched up the fix for the ATI-based
> T43 and T43p, and THAT botched up fix made what should have been a small
> pulse that changed RPMs just enough to recalibrate the tachometer, into a
> major, very noisy fan pulse every 30s in a LOT of T43s.
>=20
> So, a few T43 owners hacked their EC firmwares to "fix the fix".  It make=
s a
> T43 act just like a T42.  But since the T43 fan IS louder than the T42 fa=
n,
> it will still be louder than a T42.

Okay.  I guess there is still a problem, even for the T61?  This fan will p=
ulse=20
somewhat if I write to pwm1 too often.  Or maybe the pulsing I notice is le=
ss=20
and caused elseway.

Heh heh: "My ThinkPad has a keyboard light, a touchpad & trackstick, a=20
fingerprint reader[1], a SMAPI battery interface, accelerometers, (etc.) an=
d=20
even a _pulse_!"

[1] Actually, no fingerprint reader here; I like the keyboard method better.

--gDGSpKKIBgtShtf+

--gDGSpKKIBgtShtf+--