[ltp] T23 and eye strain

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 06:14:46 -0500

* Anze Slosar <anze@berkeley.edu> [2008 Jul 15 02:00 -0500]:
> The main degradation of an LCD is its backlight - image gets dimmer
> and dimmer. This can be accompanied by some color and brightness
> shift, but no flicker or other kind of eye-straining behaviour. So,
> probably you're suffering just from degraded brightness / contrast.
> The timescales for this are 2-3 years or so (for example, I could
> easily use my X40 outside when it was new and now this is no-way on a
> sunny day).  Since nobody (that I know) would replace an aging LCD,
> the simplest thing is to get a new laptop - try to get a LED backlit
> one. Heck, if you don't need performance you can get a decent one for
> less than 1000 bucks!

Kind of what I expected to read.  Any idea on whether any Thinkpads use
an LED backlight?  Any idea on replacing the stock light with an LED?

I will NOT wander away from the Thinkpads.  I cannot use the scratchpad
pointing device and must have a Trackpoint.  If I get a newer Thinkpad
with both, the scratchpad gets disabled in the BIOS.  Period.

- Nate >>