[ltp] possible fan firmware bug after WLAN was active on X61s

Thomas Kahle linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Jul 2008 11:14:06 +0200

Hi Tino,

I experienced the same problem, it is described a bit at
http://pi-ist-genau-3.de/?page_id=344.
My conclusion was, that the sensor which measures the temperature at the
wlan-card is used to compute the fan speed, while the fan, located in
the top left of the mainboard, does not cool the wlan at all, so this is
just of stupid.
Using the fan control scripts from thinkpad wiki you can switch of the
fan and see that there is no change in temperature at the wlan-card.

So two things you should consider :

- -) Enable Power-Saving for the wlan card, this significantly reduces the
temperature.
Basicly do a
for i in `echo /sys/bus/pci/drivers/iwl4965/*/power_level`; do
echo 5 > $i
done
after every boot, resume, iwl4965 module reload, etc.

- -) Use fan control scripts to change the threshshold of the temperature
at the wlan-card. You find them on the thinkwiki.

hope this helps
Thomas