[ltp] possible fan firmware bug after WLAN was active on X61s

Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:02:20 +0200

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:14:06 +0200, Thomas Kahle wrote:

> Hi Tino,
>
> I experienced the same problem, it is described a bit at
> http://pi-ist-genau-3.de/?page_id=344.
> My conclusion was, that the sensor which measures the temperature at the
> wlan-card is used to compute the fan speed, while the fan, located in
> the top left of the mainboard, does not cool the wlan at all, so this is
> just of stupid.

The fan stayed on even after I disabled the WLAN. Furthermore, sensors
shows low temperatures, and the fan goes off after the ThinkPads was
suspended, even if it was suspended for just 1 second. So I suppose
that it is just weired firmware.

> Using the fan control scripts from thinkpad wiki you can switch of the
> fan and see that there is no change in temperature at the wlan-card.
>
> So two things you should consider :
>
> - -) Enable Power-Saving for the wlan card, this significantly reduces the
> temperature.

I already enable it every time the WLAN comes up.

> - -) Use fan control scripts to change the threshshold of the temperature
> at the wlan-card. You find them on the thinkwiki.

This has the potential to damage the hardware, therefore I don't use
such things with a > 1000 EUR laptop.

Regards,
Tino