[ltp] Thinkpad T60 - LinuxMint - no sound...

Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:44:30 +0100

zed wrote:
> I have an IBM Thinkpad T60 on which I run LinuxMint v5.0.  Everything works
> except sound.

That's odd - it's pretty rare for onboard sound not to work.

1. Are you sure it isn't anything trivial? Often the volume is simply
turned down - try using a mixer such as gnome-alsamixer, or kmix to fix
it. There are several volume controls "in series": the application
itself, the  "PCM" control, the "master volume" and the hardware
buttons. Any of these can kill the sound. Also, what are you trying to
play?

2. Try
     speaker-test
     hwinfo --sound  		(run as root)
     play -n -c1 synth sin %-12 sin %-9 sin %-5 sin %-2

(you may need to install the packages, speaker-tes, hwinfo, and sox).

If that doesn't work, ask again - but tell us what you get from
   hwinfo --sound, and lsmod

Regards,

Richard

P.S. You almost certainly want to use ALSA as your sound system.
PulseAudio isn't ready yet, and OSS is obsolete.