[ltp] T61 Brightness keys with 2.6.26 not working (NVIDIA)

Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:18:40 -0300

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Jens Rutschmann wrote:
>>> The brightness_down button does nothing. Also in acpi_listen I get:
>>> ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001010
>>> for brightness_up, brightness_down does nothing.
>>
>> Find out what is writing crap to hotkey_mask, and stop it.
>
> Fixed it by enabling CONFIG_VIDEO_OUTPUT_CONTROL and CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO.

Good, but that still doesn't explain the lack of thinkpad-acpi events for
brightness_down when _up is issuing events...  That's typical of a bad
hotkey_mask.

> Btw after booting "hotkey_mask" and "hotkey_recommended_mask" contain the
> same values now. After booting into X I get this:
>
> hotkey_all_mask                 0x00ffffff
> hotkey_bios_enabled             0
> hotkey_bios_mask                0x0000080c
> hotkey_enable                   1
> hotkey_mask                     0x008c7fff
> hotkey_poll_freq                10
> hotkey_radio_sw                 1
> hotkey_recommended_mask         0x008c7fff
> hotkey_report_mode              1
> hotkey_source_mask              0x00000000

Which is good, and supposed to disable BOTH brightness keys.

> If you're interested in the hotkey_mask as it has been set before I
> activated CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO, then let me know and I'll compile a kernel
> without it.

Don't bother, there simply is no failure mode (other than a broken BIOS)
that could have caused it, it must be something in userspace that tried to
set the hotkey_mask when ACPI VIDEO was not available or somesuch.

  Henrique Holschuh