[ltp] What are people using for Dock/Undocking scripts for their X60/61's?

Theodore Ts'o linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:10:32 -0400

I'm curious what people have been using for docking/undocking scripts
for their X60/61 laptops.   I've found the dockutils at:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/dockutils

to be useful as a starting point, although it hasn't been updated in two
years and I had to make some changes to support the X61 and because it
was relying on hal properties that no longer exist.  I also had to add
an explicit "hdparm -Y" to spin down the disk before undocking it.

An e-mail to maintainer of dockutils asking if the project was still
active or had been abandoned has not been answered.

Also, one thing which I suspect will need kernel support is that with
with Ultrabay X60/61 Media Slice installed, the ACPI dock device exists,
but not the bay device.  That is, the only way to eject the bay device
is to completely undock the system (which drops the ethernet
connection), removing the ultrabay device, and then redock the system.
If the bay is empty, you can hot-add an ultrabay device and have the
right thing happen, and under Windows it's possible to do a hot-unplug
of the bay device without completely undocking the system, which
apparently isn't possible under Linux (since the bay device isn't
appearing at all for the X61 laptop).

	  					- Ted