[ltp] ACPI Lid switch control

Daniel Castro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 01 Jun 2008 14:48:56 +0100

Hello,

This might be a silly question with a simple answer. Sorry to bother.

I have a T61 with Hardy. Everything works like charm. (very occasional
kernel panics)
I use an external monitor connected to the VGA output. And I turn the
laptop monitor off using the xrandr command. My screensaver kicks in
after 5 mins and the screen(s) turn off after 15 mins. So far so good.

Now if I close the laptop lid both screens will turn off. I would like
the external to stay on and close the laptop lid to avoid the dust and
stuff.
I went to System->Preferences->Power Management->On AC Power->Actions
and set the"When laptop lid is closed" option to "Do nothing".

That fixed half the problem. Ok now if I close the lid the external
monitor stays on. But the screensaver and the monitor off options will
stick to the lid been closed and will never kick in.

So I suppose I need to disable the ACPI lid switch off at a lower level.
I'm I right?
How do I do that?

Thanks!!!

--

Daniel Castro
Networking and Distributed Systems
Computer Science
Trinity College Dublin

Mobile: 083-318-2058
86.4.3 Trinity Hall, Dartry Road, Dublin 6