[ltp] brightness buttons on T61

Yves-Alexis Perez linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 02 Jun 2008 16:36:16 +0200

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 05:21:40PM +0000, Cherife Li wrote:
> On 06/01/08 01:08, Lothar Werzinger wrote:
> >Since upgrading to Kubuntu Hardy both the volume buttons and the
> >brightness buttons on my T61 (and the T61's of my coworkers) work out of
> >the box.
> Good news.
> I'm running Slackware, using only fluxbox, with kernel 2.6.25.4.
> Still cannot figure out the point.

Kernel is currently not able to manage the brightness keys by itself. You have
to use something like gnome-power-manager and be sure to tell it to the
kernel, using the video.c parameter 'brightness_switch_enabled'. This is what
ubuntu does.

You can tune this in /etc/modprobe.d, or manually using the
/sys/modules/video/parameters/brightness_switch_enabled file.

Cheers,
--
Yves-Alexis