[ltp] wireless switch: is off really off?

Daniel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:28:50 +0200

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 08:17:24AM +0200, Arno Trautmann wrote:
> For drivers using the new Wi-Fi kernel framework (mac80211/cfg80211),
> the canonical way to do this is now:
>
> for i in /sys/bus/pci/devices/*/power_level ; do echo 5 > $i ; done
> --
>
> Using this, the machine is much cooler, /with/ W-LAN enabled and active.
> So what caused the heating? Was it the w-lan card anyhow /not/ disabled

I don't have a X61s and can't find the manual right now, but still I'd be
surprised if they moved the MiniPCI stuff to front center.

> by the switch? Or does the last code line change anything else than w-lan?

Yes. It will enable power saving for any device on the pci bus that is able
to do so - so potentially something else was heating up.
I don't know - does the fingerprint reader show up on the PCI bus when the
driver is loaded?

HTH,
Daniel