[ltp] wireless switch: is off really off?

Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:39:04 -0300

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Arno Trautmann wrote:
> until a few days ago, I didn???t manage to get my W-LAN running, so I
> always disabled it by turning the swith to ???off???. But the machine was

That helps, but even the switch does not shutdown a semi-awake WLAN card (it
does not shutdown the MAC processor in the card, just the RF stage if that
much...).

> Using this, the machine is much cooler, /with/ W-LAN enabled and active.
> So what caused the heating? Was it the w-lan card anyhow /not/ disabled
> by the switch? Or does the last code line change anything else than

Exactly.  Which WLAN card, btw?  Intel used to ship cards that simply
wouldn't even start the MAC processor without the firmware, so all you had
to do to keep them powered off was not to load up the driver in the first
place.  But maybe this is not true for the ipw39xx and ipw49xx...  or did
you have the modules and firmware loaded?

  Henrique Holschuh