[ltp] volume/brightness in hardy heron

Anze Slosar linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 03:25:54 -0700

>> Hardy Heron has broken volume buttons on my thinkpad X40. They simply
>> do not see to create any ACPI events.
>
> Do they fail to change the headphone-out and builtin speaker's volume,
> perchance?
>
> The X40 volume buttons are not simple hot keys.  They are a digital volume
> control for the headphone-out and builtin speakers.  They cannot be
> configured to just report they have been pressed, so they should not be
> abused as generic volume keys or somesuch.

Well, but it used to work much better.  Before hardy heron, I pressed
those buttons and I got onscreen display showing the the volume going
up and down and then were perfectly synchronized with the volume
applet. So, for example, when I pressed the mute button, the on screen
display shown a mute volume and the gnome applet got it speaker muted.
 I could mute using button and unmute using applet.
Now the applet is not aware of what is going on. If i manually run
volupbtn it does the right thing and thinkpad-volume-up has the right
even id in it

event=ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001015

but this event does not happen anymore. Ditto for brightness.

So, things used to work and now they don't work anymore.

If I mute now, the sound is mutted but the applet is not aware. What
is even worse is that even if I mute and unmute again in the applet,
the sound is still mutted, so the buttons now work on top of the mixer
as you suggest. But this didn't used to be like that, so something got
broken.
Thanks for your time.

anze