[ltp] debian on 600X

Harry Popov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 11:20:07 +0300

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 16:34 -0300, alfio wrote:
> hi all
>
> i'd like to extend the life of my trusty 600X (650mhz, maxed ram, etc)
> by moving to a light version of debian (xfce).
>
> i've had a few different installations on the machine but i always feel
> like i'm not quite done nailing down the basics. this is specially so
> when it comes to the configuration of APCI and other installation
> options. lately, and only by default, i've been going with "install
> acpi-noriq" but i'm still not sure what this really means nor if that's
> the right install option.

Hi,
I have Debian Testing with Gnome running on T600X 500Mhz 256Mb RAM.
Befoer that I explored Mandriva 2006 & 2007 with Gnome. I do not think
XFCE is faster or lighter then Gnome. It was true years ago but not now.
Would reccomend Window Maker or Fluxbox. But must say I am pretty happy
with the speed of Gnome.

Concerning your problems with ACPI. THe solution is very simple. Just
start the kernel with option:
pci=noacpi

Nothing else. This *must* solve all the ACPI problems. Hope it helps.
Enjoy the trusty T600X.

Regards,

Harry Popov