[ltp] Display brightness

Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:32:06 -0300

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008, Joerg Platte wrote:
> I'm using a vanilla 2.6.24.3 kernel with thinkpad_acpi version 0.17 and the
> latest BIOS version 1RETDRWW (3.23 ).

Thanks.  I will look into it.

> > What you really need to do is to hunt down whatever else in userspace is
> > touching the thinkpad NVRAM and get rid of it.  Look for KDE or GNOME
> > "thinkpad support" utilities and applets, for example.  Any of them which
> > can change brightness are prime suspects.
>
> Hmmm, KDE, or in this case, kpowersave, changes the brightness intentionally
> each time the notebook is idle for some time. This works most of the time,

Does it manage to change brightness even when you don't have thinkpad-acpi
loaded (i.e. is it doing things directly to the NVRAM)?

> but not aways. It looks like it is getting worse after I replaced the
> mainboard. The old one had a radeon 9000 and the new one has a radeon 7500.

Timings could be different, and this is indeed brokeness induced by a race
condition, so it is possible the swap made the problem worse, indeed.

  Henrique Holschuh