[ltp] What to take care of when buying a Lenovo?

Tobi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 08 Mar 2008 23:11:05 +0100

Michael Gaber wrote:

> you could get and purchase additional ram yourself, which is way cheaper
> then the prices lenovo charges

Thanks for the hint! I think I will also buy the HDD somewhere else.

> for the hdd i personally would prefer one with 7200rpm (which i think
> are available up to 200G in thinkpads)

I've set my minimum to 250. 7200 rpm drives at this size or larger are rare. I
think, the difference between 160GB@7200 rpm and a 250GB@5400 rpm isn't that
large. The higher data density might compensate a little bit for the lower speed.

> i didn't notice any problems with thinkpads and linux, (except that the
> gentoo-x64-livecd won't boot at all and kubuntu booted only with noapic
> and nolapic kernel params, which were NOT nescessary on my installed
> gentoo x64 system

I intend to run Debian on it, but as long as any Linux distribution works, I can
get Debian working too.

Tobias