[ltp] What to take care of when buying a Lenovo?

Tobi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 09 Mar 2008 00:10:23 +0100

David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> Don't forget the increased battery life as well.

Yes, I consider this a "bonus" :-)

> If you're going to buy a higher-end machine like this, and battery life
> is a concern

It's not my main concern, but battery life shouldn't be below the average.

, remember to buy one with _integrated_ graphics, not the
> external graphics adapter. If you need the higher-speed graphics

I don't need very much graphics performance. Besides Firefox and Thunderbird, my
main applications are Eclipse on Linux, Visual Studio on Windows (virtual) and
the terminal window :-) Very rarely I need some OpenGL for a CAD program, but
I think as long as I don't intend to play any high-end-3D-games, I'm ok with an
integrated Intel graphics chip.

It seems, for the T61p only Nvidia graphics cards are available. What's the main
difference besides this, between the T61 and T61p?

> you can get external video cards now with a USB, DVI or Express connector.

External USB video cards? I haven't seen these yet, but I assume USB doesn't
provide enough bandwith for a graphics card, does it?. And I haven't seen any
Express video cards either.

Tobias