[ltp] What to take care of when buying a Lenovo?

Yves-Alexis Perez linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:15:05 +0100

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 03:52:04PM +0000, Christoph Lechleitner wrote:
> With 64bit kernels (distros) the CPU's phyisical address lines (usually
> 36 to 40) are the limit; but don't expect major multimedia codecs or
> even 3rd party software to run on 64bit distros ;-((

Wich kind of "major multimedia codecs" are you refering to? I'm running 64
bits and dont really have problems with most multimedia codecs used nowadays.

> But, ...
>
> > The T60 doesn't use PAE. Its chipset is limited to 3GB of program
> space and 1GB for I/O, at least according to Intel and Lenovo.
>
>  ... is bullshit from IBM/Lenovo and proofes they don't know what they
> are selling not to mention doing.
>
> I definitively can use all the 4 Gig (of my T61p from ~July 2007) with a
> 32bit kernel with the correct options.

He was speaking of his T60, wich doesn't have the same chipset as your T61p.
--
Yves-Alexis